A view from the Neues Schloss down
on the Marktplatz -
in the center the Stiftskirche, on
the right the town-hall.
The vivid Marktplatz (market
place) in the midst of the Altstadt is surrounded
by the Neues Schloss, the Stiftskirche,
the Dampfbad and the Friedrichsbad.
Under the pavement there is the Roman
(baths of the emperors), whose outlines
can be easily
seen by the dark markings on the
There are several festivals taking
both in the summer- and in the winter-time..
The catholic church on the Marktplatz
is called Stiftskirche.
The lower, Roman parts of the tower
date from 1220-40. The Gothic sections
were erected between 1453 and 1474.
The church was badly damaged
by the Great Fire in 1689. It was
rebuilt in Baroque-style between
1751 and 1753, Gothic amendments
were made in 1866-67.
Restoration work was carried out
in 1954 and 1967/68.
Of historical interest is a crucifix
by Nikolaus Gerhart von Leyden (1467), a
tabernacle (around 1500), the tombs
of the margraves of Baden from 1391 to 1793
and a monument to Margrave Ludwig
Wilhelm known as Louis "the Turk" (1753).
The Alte Dampfbad (old steam
bath), the three story building in
toscany-style, was erected in 1846-48
by Heinrich Hübsch.
Today various exhibitions are being
shown in the building.
The Rathaus (town-hall), built
in 1632, was rebuilt after the Great Fire of 1689.
Since 1862 the building with the
escutcheon of alliance Baden-Lauenburg
at its entrance gate serves as the
town-hall to the city of Baden-Baden..